Name:
Location: The Planet Brooklyn

Sunday, March 26, 2006

King for a Day! Pt. 1 [Birthday Bar Crawl/Williamsburg]



Today is March 26, and I am 24 years old.

24. Nope, nothing special. Let's get drunk.

I have a personal birthday policy. Birthday boy is King for a day. Past years I developed a construction-paper crown a la Elementary School with a glitter number for whatever age I happened to turn, and I wore that baby all over town! Free sub at subway, smiles and winks and cheek-pecks from the ladies and, of course, a since-21 tradition: The birthday bar crawl.

First couple of years were in Western Mass where I went for college and last year's was hosted by the East Village. Now it was Billyburg's turn and living out by Morgan and Flushing, I figured I'd start out Bedford-ways and see which subway station on the L I'd stumble on to on my way Eastwards.

1. 11pm- CAPONE'S: (N9, Driggs & Roebling) ah, everyone's favorite speakeasy. A neon red sign on an otherwise desolate block and a free pizza with each beer consumed! Mazel-tov! Big Bro sponsored the first beer, and the bar-lady treated me to a Maker's Mark rocks. The dance floor was too much floor and not enough dance. DJs were lame too.

2. 12:45am- BLACK BETTY: (Metro & Havemeyer) Sweet sassy Molassey that's a stylish dance-spot. Too crowded with white people not dancing though. I bought myself my favorite cocktail (secret!) and bartendress treated me to a kamikaze shot. Dancing was fun, but too packed.

3. 1:15am- ALLIGATOR LOUNGE: (Metro & Lorimer) The bartendress couldn't care less it was my birthday, she was busy. Wouldn't even recommend a Bday shot. I sucked down a turpentine lemon drop for $6 and left without tipping.

4. 1:35 am- METROPOLITAN: (Lorimer & Metro) Aaahhh. So *this* is the neighborhood gay bar. Free tequila shot & a wink from the bartender. I left shortly

Hmm. can't seem to walk straight and vision's a little blurry. No problem, I'll walk it off. By the time I got to Graham avenue I knew I wouldn't last too much longer. I needed a sweet spot to end the night. When I found myself on Leonard and Metro I remembered a Time Out NY article about a little spot with it's own aphrodisiac house drink. A little blend of Dominican Rum and Herbs called

5. 2:00 am- MAMAJUANA: (220 Leonard tween Grand and Powers) The Mamajuana is a sweet and smoky rum-based cocktail that allegedy has both medicinal and rejuvinative properties. The bar had a lovely low-lit atmosphere infused with Afro-Latin themes and comfortable couches. There was an Itunes DJ by the name of Madame Turk spinning (mouse-clicking?) a blend of Hip-Hop, Latin dance music and the occassional rare-rock cover. There were 5 people in the place. 3 were dancing.

For smokers and lovers, there was a back door with led to an alleyway maybe 30 inches wide and twelve feet long. A plastic statue of a woman, painted to look like stone was at the end, surrounded by candles. Quite an impressive minimalist shrine. Something about it was undenialy sexy. I purchased one Mamajunana from the light-skinned, 100% bald bartender named Alister. A man I percieved to by the owner (tall, dread-locked and handsome) upon learning it was my birthday, nodded to Alister to refill my glass.

I stumbled to the Graham st. station and stayed awake/kept it down long enough to stumble home and down water to keep it settled.

My head & throat hurt the next day, but not enough to keep the King for a Day down. Winner of the night, was no doubt: MAMAJUANA. I reccomend you all check it out with someone you want to get busy with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home