Name:
Location: The Planet Brooklyn

Monday, March 20, 2006

Fruit! Glorious Fruit! [Bushwick]


I'm a breakfast man.

Yes, it is the most important meal of the day, and sometimes for me, it lasts for two or three meals. Breakfast always goes in cycles for me too. The hearty whole-grain toast, eggs and bacon of the harvest season gave way to festive French Toast with, maple syrup, farmers jam and a cup of mocha over the holidays, paring down to yogurt and granola with a tall cup'a OJ for the New Year slim-down.

Now spring is here, and I'm craving me some fruit. Serious fruit, fresh, vibrant, colorful with variety! Oranges, apples, kiwis, strawberries, bring 'em all on!! Ssips lemonade a'int cutting it anymore.

Which is why I always balk at the $1.29 grapefruits at Brooklyn natural on Bogart & Meserole. Damn you gentrification! Raising the prices on everything! Unless of course, you're not a self-isolating idiot and hop a bike down Knickerbocker for five minutes into the Latin discount shopping paradise that is the KB strip!

Stop at Willoughby and KB, right by Maria Hernandez Park (also the only park of note in this 'hood) and stop into the amazing greengrocer there, with a plank of plywood up where a sign should be. You'll be greeted more friednly-like by all of the oranges (5 for $1) grapefruits (4 for $1.25) Red Peppers, Green Peppers, Pineapples, strawberries, et al out front waiting for you to squeeze their ripeness!

And that's only a sample of all the more produce you'll find inside!

I made off like a bandit for $7. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a salad to make.

1 Comments:

Blogger HRH said...

Great advice. I'll have to check it out.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home